Autistic Adults Online
An ESRC-funded project investigating how autistic adults use social media to build and maintain relationships.
The aim of the study is to examine how autistic adults use social networking sites to maintain existing social relationships or create new ones. Understanding how autistic individuals use language, images, as well as different technological tools to communicate in social media is important for the design of environments that are inclusive of autistic user abilities and preferences. The study will help inform initiatives that use digital networking technologies to improve the quality of life of autistic adults.
The project runs from December 2020 to December 2022.
To learn more about how autistic adults use and experience social media, you can read personal experiences on our blog page.
Latest from the project
- More testimonies from workshop participantsThis blogpost has been kindly contributed to the participatory design series by one of the workshop participants. Over the last few months I have had the exciting the opportunity to be part of an autistic driven workshop in relation to our understandings of social media and the ways in which we interact in such onlineContinue reading “More testimonies from workshop participants”
- Perspectives from workshop participantsIn this blogpost series, we have been writing about our participatory design workshops. The purpose of these workshops was reinventing social media in collaboration with autistic adults. As we explained in the first entry of the series, participatory design argues that all of us have the right to take part in the technology-making process.Continue reading “Perspectives from workshop participants”
- Workshop 3: Designing a new social media platformIn this blogpost series, we discuss our 3 participatory design workshops about social media. The first instalment of the series provides an overview of the research activity. The second instalment is dedicated to workshop 1. The third blogpost is about workshop 2. This fourth one discusses our third and final workshop. Workshop 1 was mostly about theContinue reading “Workshop 3: Designing a new social media platform”
- Workshop 2: Desirable social media futuresIn this blogpost series, we discuss our 3 participatory design workshops about social media. The first instalment of the series provides an overview of the workshops. The second instalment talks about workshop 1. In this third post in the series, we will tell you about workshop 2. While workshop 1 was mostly about the present ofContinue reading “Workshop 2: Desirable social media futures”
- Workshop 1: The present of social mediaIn our previous blogpost, we introduced our 3 participatory design workshops about social media. In this blogpost, we will tell you about our first workshop, which was dedicated to the present of social media. Our first workshop had 2 main goals: Getting to know each other, and Becoming familiar with the existing data GettingContinue reading “Workshop 1: The present of social media”